Re: [squid-users] Long running squid proxy slows way down

From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:35:17 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Wilson Hernandez - MSD, S. A. wrote:

> I have a similar setup, squid was slow and crashing when it had a long
> time running, crashing every three to six days. I never found out why it
> crashed. I looked in the log files and couldn't find anything. It just
> crashed for no reason. There are some post to the least about it. I
> decided to restart the system everyday from a cron job at 4am. I know
> that doesn't sound too stable as I'm running it on a linux box but, it
> worked. It hasn't crash ever since.

Did you get any message in /var/log/squid/* or /var/log/syslog?

I had a similar experience and it turned out to be down to the RAM usage of
squid exceeding 3GB (the limit for a process on a 32bit OS). As the cache
memory filled up, squid's ram size increased until it restarted, and began
filling up again. I reduced the mem_cache size and everything is fine
since then.

Gavin