Re: [squid-users] Question on changing from ufs to aufs+coss

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 00:34:24 +0200

On 28.04.09 12:20, Pandu E Poluan wrote:
> About "different disks", must this be different physical disks or
> different partition is sufficient?

different disk means different disk. Splitting them to partitions is
useless, they will still have the same heads and plates, and having two
filesystems on the same disk would even slow it down because of putting more
metadata to different parts of it.

putting two ufs/aufs/diskd cache_dirs on real disk is useless.
putting one of above plus COSS on the same disk may give speed benefit,
since COSS is faster for small files

> Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> On 27.04.09 16:41, Pandu E Poluan wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, thanks for the explanation.
>>>
>>> One thing is still unclear for me, though: Why is it not a good idea
>>> to have 2+ cache on same disk?
>>>
>>> In my understanding (CMIIW), aufs is better for larger objects while
>>> coss is better for smaller objects (or the other way around).
>>>

>> Yes, but if you have enough of disk space, you can put those on different
>> disks. This rule mostly applied to two cache_dirs of type *ufs/diskd in
>> which case it's useless and can slow squid down.

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.