Re: [squid-users] Limit Download Accelerators using req_header and maxconn

From: molybtek <moses_truong_at_ntm.org.pg>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 20:40:07 -0700 (PDT)

muhammad panji wrote:

> molybtek wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to limit download accelerators making multiple connections,
>> the only reliable way I could think of to identify them is their use of
>> the Range header. However, if I block all range requests, then that would
>> stop even legitimate partial downloads. So I was thinking of using
>> maxconn as well so that single use of Range header is allowed.
>>
>> acl Range req_header Range -i bytes
>> acl Max_Connections maxconn 2
>> http_access deny Range Max_Connections
>>
>> The problem I'm having is the Max_Connections doesn't seem to be working.
>> Just wondering if anyone could give a suggestion on how to get it to
>> work, or other methods of limiting the use of download accelerators?
>> Thanks.
>>

> Why don't you use delaypools? even if users make lots of connection
> the bandwidth that they can use will be limited
> regards,

We do, but delay pools only limit the bandwidth between the user and the
squid server. From squid server to the internet, those multiple threads
still download at the maximum speed, and for some unknown reason, they
usually tend to hog much of the bandwidth leaving very little for everyone
else sharing the connection.