Re: [squid-users] Follow up question from Wiki... "how do I configure Squid not to cache a specific server?"

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 11:49:26 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi Folks,
>
> I need a specific site to completely bypass my squid cache due to a broken
> external webapp.
>
> I have read the section "how do I configure Squid not to cache a specific
> server?" from the wiki, which I can implement with no issues, but what I
> am not sure is what this will actually do :)
>
> Will this allow traffic to pass through squid without caching it, or will
> this block the site for users?

The bit that says to configure "cache deny" ?
Simply prevents storage of the request/reply objects as they go through
Squid.

If I understand you correctly you want requests sent to a particular site
not even to enter Squid yes? once they enter squid there is no bypassing,
so it must be done at the firewall.
For such sites I use a custom chain a bit like this to decide of the
request is intercepted or not (all the lines ending in ACCEPT, are not
intercepted):
 iptables -t nat -A squid -s 10.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT
 iptables -t nat -A squid -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.1:81

You want something like:
  iptables -t nat -A squid -d ip-of-website-to-permit -j ACCEPT
in your list of bypasses.

Amos