Re: [squid-users] Placing COMPANY logo / BANNER

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 01:36:42 +1200

Parvinder Bhasin wrote:
> I have searched everywhere and cannot find anything regarding this. I
> would like to place a banner on every request client browser makes. I
> hear that it can maybe be done using Squid 3.1 and ICAP server. Is
> there any example of this config? I am ok with coding something for
> this purpose.
>
> Thanks and sorry if I have asked the same question in one way or the
> other before.
>
> Thx.

Ah for the love of all that is Internet. No!

There are much better alternatives than scribbling additions all over
every web object.

The one I highly recommend is to use a captive-portal approach, where
users see a full page of your content on arrival and optionally at
regular intervals. This is much safer and socially acceptable than
altering external content. Squid provides the session helper for a kick
start. Alternative helpers can easily be written to suit other use cases.

Please note the problems with your original request:
  * what you see as a "page" is often a very large collection of small
objects. Altering any of them can have a range of effects, from
disastrous to ineffectual.
  * there is close to zero chance of identifying on the fly the linkage
between certain web objects displayed on the same page. Which can
royally screw over your users experience.
  * adding company banners to other companies content can quickly get
you into big legal issues (them voluntarily using banner ads is a
contract agreement, yours is a violation of someone elses service
agreements).
  * consider the poor user who opens their banking website or facebook
page only to see your company name. How are they to differentiate you
from a spammer/phisher out to grab their personal details? Why should
they trust you ever again after that?

/thinking I'll have to write this up one day or find a good how-why
reference article on net-neutrality.

Amos

--
Please be using