RE: [squid-users] speeding up browsing? any advice?!

From: Adam Carter <Adam.Carter_at_optus.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 15:56:19 +1000

> thanks for the advice, i just increased cache size to 300 GB
> (i have 1 Terra raided hdd so i dont mind the size)
> as for object size i've set it to 15 MB. though one question,
> i've read that there's a certain option that keeps cached
> objects in memory for quick retrieval..

Usually the operating system does this for you, by caching some of the physical disks in RAM. For a forward proxy like you have setting a large cache_mem isnt recommended IIRC.

> i've got 6 GB of ram, so i dont mind doing so.. any advice?
> would it do good or .. ?

The more ram the better. The OS should use it as disk cache as I mentioned above. Are you using a 64bit OS (better) or a 32 bit OS with PAE? If your OS reports a lot less that 6 gig you'll want to fix that.

You might find running a cache only DNS server helps, as it should cut the lookup latency across the saturated link (tho it probably wont save much in the way for throughput).