Re: [squid-users] Split caching by size

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 17:25:54 +1200 (NZST)

> How do I configure squid to only cache small objects, say less than 4mb
> in memory cache, and only objects larger than 4mb to the disk? I want to
> optimize the cache based on object size. The reasoning is the small
> stuff will change often and be accessed the most while the larger items
> that tie up bandwidth will not change as often and I can cache more
> aggressively. Also this way I minimize disk io and lag. I am using squid
> 3.0. While I can see this being done with the disk cache I am not
> certain the memory cache can be configured like this anymore as the
> options seem to be missing.

You face one major problem:
 * How to identify the size of an object before its pushed to cache?
   - _some_ objects have Content-Length: headers set, not always.

 * How to identify when an object is going to be pushed to cache while its
still arriving?
   - no such luck. will require a code change.

COSS grabs all the obvious small objects into a separate small and
efficient store, leaving the rest assumed to be large for the main store.
Alex is working very hard at getting the RockStore feature working, which
a part involves fixing the COSS support in 3.x. Any help able to be
provided to him in that project is very, very welcome.

Amos