Re: [squid-users] Cache everything (except when client explicitely sends No-Cache directive)

From: Thibaut_ <tbritz_at_blue.lu>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 00:34:17 -0700 (PDT)

Amos Jeffries-2 wrote:

> Thibaut_ wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do some large batch processing and would like to explicitely cache
>> every
>> page I request. (Because I sometimes request multiple pages again and
>> don't
>> want to hammer the servers). If I want a fresh copy, my programm
>> explicitely
>> sends a No-cache header to squid.
>>
>> I'm using the following refresh pattern:
>>
>> refresh_pattern . 1440 20% 4320 override-expire override-lastmod
>> ignore-no-cache ignore-private ignore-auth ignore-stale-while-revalidate
>>
>> which however doesn't cover certain pages sending these headers:
>>
>> Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
>
> ... which is held because of override-expire
>
>> Cache-Control:
>
> ::: no-store,
>
> ... you need a version of squid with ignore-no-store.
>
> ::: no-cache,
>
> ... you said you wanted the pages to refresh when this was given.
> You then use ignore-no-cache and claim this request is one you do want
> refreshed. Make up your mind!
>
> > must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
>> Pragma: no-cache
>>

>> whieh results in a:
>>
>> 1242308981.140 167 127.0.0.1 TCP_MISS/200 30815 GET .....
>>

>> How can I cache those as well?
>
> "If I want a fresh copy, my programm explicitely sends a No-cache header
> to squid."
>
> Your program explicitly sent the "Cache-Control: no-cache" header to
> Squid.
>

> Amos
> --
> Please be using
> Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE6 or 3.0.STABLE15
> Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7

Thanks,

I will try out the new version then.

I do only want to rerequest the webpage if my java client (which is using
squid) sends the no-cache header in its request, not the server (which isn't
controlled by me!). All other requests through the proxy should use the
cached version if available.

I found it confusing that squid was deciding not to cache a website, and
there was no option to override that behaviour.

As for a general rule for caching url, that doesn't work as I don't know in
advance where I will rerequest the webpages and sometimes I do also want to
do a refresh.