Re: [squid-users] How to make squid caches windows + anti-virus updates?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 15:23:06 +1200 (NZST)

> I would like to know what squid caches by default and where are these
> files
> kept?
>
> I thought that squid would cache everything, but I read that a few lines
> must be added to squid.conf to force squid to cache windows updates, which

Everything it can cache it does, yes. The WU requests are often Ranges
though, small pieces from the middle of a file. Unless squid already has
the whole file stored it has to fetch each piece separately from the web
and can't yet combine them or store them.

The extra settings you found (quick_abort*, range_offset, etc) should be
the hack to force squid to fetch the whole object on first Range request
and re-use it for the following ones WU does.

> already did, I just don't know if it's working cause I don't know where
> the
> files are. Can you guys tell me how can I setup squid to cache the
> anti-virus updates also (for kaspersky)?

If the access.log shows any 304 or TCP_HIT/TCP_*_HIT messages for WU
requests they are working.

To do it for kaspersky if it is not already, check where the requests are
going to, and why they are not being cached yet.

Amos