Re: [squid-users] Can't access non-anymous FTP via Internet Explorer

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 18:44:56 +1200

James Zuelow wrote:
> I have a Squid 2.7Stable3 install. (Debian Lenny package, kernel, etc.)
> Clients are configured with a proxy.pac, and we use ntlm authentication. This is not a transparent proxy.
>
> When users attempt to use IE7 or IE8 for non-anonymous FTP sessions through Squid, they receive an anonymous access denied reply.
>
> When users attempt to use IE7 or IE8 without using Squid (a proxy.pac exception or explicitly setting the browser to not use a proxy) they are presented with the FTP login dialog that they expect.
>
> When users attempt to use Firefox 3.x for non-anymous FTP sessions, they receive the login dialog that they expect.

This is the problem:
  1) browser doing FTP native protocol shows login popup (Umm, think
about that one).

  2a) browser sending FTP protocol wrapped in HTTP request seem not to
show popup when asked for _HTTP-auth_ details.
  2b) Squid does have bug preventing it requesting HTTP-auth for FTP
protocol.

> Is there a special trick to get IE7+ to use Squid for non-anonymous FTP?

Yes. Send Squid the login details as part of the URL ftp://user:pass@domain/

Amos

--
Please be using