Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy, multiple web servers, only one is reachable

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 12:17:52 -0800

Joaquín Puga wrote:
> Thanks Amos and Chris for getting back to me so quickly. Unfortunately
> none of my test ended up working. I have tried to use
> cache_peer_domain and cache_peer_access + acls, and different
> combinations but none of them had worked out. Nevertheless, no matter
> the configuration www1.mywebsite.ca is always accessible, and I can't
> understand why. Also, with my initial configuration,
> www.mywebsiteusa.com is not displayed, but it shows www.mywebsite.ca.
> And I cannot understand this either.
>
> Below you can find a summation of most the configuration tests I tried
> today based on your recommendations.
>
> Our configuration should be very simple and straightforward, but it's
> giving me a really hard time...
> Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

SNIP

> [2] Chris Robertson
>
> cache_peer x.y.z.247 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest originserver
> forceddomain=www.mywebsite.ca name=www_mywebsite
> cache_peer x.y.z.248 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest originserver
> forceddomain=www1.mywebsite.ca name=www1_mywebsite
> cache_peer x.y.z.249 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest originserver
> forceddomain=www.mywebsiteusa.com name=www_mywebsiteusa
> cache_peer x.y.z.250 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest
> forceddomain=webmail.mywebsite.ca originserver name=webmail
>

> cache_peer_domain www_mywebsite www.mywebsite.ca
> cache_peer_domain www1_mywebsite www1.mywebsite.ca
> cache_peer_domain www_mywebsiteusa www.mywebsiteusa.com
> cache_peer_domain webmail webmail.mywebsite.ca
> hosts_file none

I'd leave the hosts_file directive unset (leave it default).

> [result 2]
> www1.mywebsite.ca works
> http://www.mywebsite.ca/ http://www1.mywebsiteusa.com/ time out:

We need to determine why this connection is timing out. Can you ping
each of the hosts from the Squid box?

If so, can you telnet to each of the hosts port 80 (telnet x.y.z.247 80)
from the Squid box?

If so, what is the result of entering "HEAD / HTTP/1.0" and hitting
enter twice?

> ERROR
> The requested URL could not be retrieved
>
> While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.mywebsite.ca/
>
> The following error was encountered:
>
> * Unable to forward this request at this time.
>
> This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to any
> parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that:
>
> * The cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct
> connections to origin servers, and
> * All configured parent caches are currently unreachable.
>
> Your cache administrator is root.
>
> [2.1]
> cache_peer x.y.z.247 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest originserver
> forceddomain=www.mywebsite.ca name=www_mywebsite
> cache_peer x.y.z.248 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest originserver
> forceddomain=www1.mywebsite.ca name=www1_mywebsite
> cache_peer x.y.z.249 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest originserver
> forceddomain=www.mywebsiteusa.com name=www_mywebsiteusa
> cache_peer x.y.z.250 parent 80 0 no-query no-digest
> forceddomain=webmail.mywebsite.ca originserver name=webmail
>

> acl acl_www_mywebsite_ip myip x.y.z.47
> acl acl_www1_mywebsite_ip myip x.y.z.48
> acl acl_www_mywebsiteusa_ip myip x.y.z.49
> acl acl_webmail_ip myip x.y.z.250
>

> cache_peer_access www_mywebsite allow acl_www_mywebsite_ip
> cache_peer_access www_mywebsite deny all
>
> cache_peer_access www1_mywebsite allow acl_www1_mywebsite_ip
> cache_peer_access www1_mywebsite deny all
>
> cache_peer_access www_mywebsiteusa allow acl_www_mywebsiteusa_ip
> cache_peer_access www_mywebsiteusa deny all
>
> cache_peer_access webmail allow acl_webmail_ip
> cache_peer_access webmail deny all
>
> hosts_file none
>
> [result 2.1]
> www1.mywebsite.ca works
> http://www.mywebsite.ca/ http://www1.mywebsiteusa.com/ time out:
>

> ERROR
> The requested URL could not be retrieved
>
> While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.mywebsite.ca/
>
> The following error was encountered:
>
> * Unable to forward this request at this time.
>
> This request could not be forwarded to the origin server or to any
> parent caches. The most likely cause for this error is that:
>
> * The cache administrator does not allow this cache to make direct
> connections to origin servers, and
> * All configured parent caches are currently unreachable.
>

> Thanks.
>
> Joaquin

Chris