Re: [squid-users] squid_ldap_group group names cannot have spaces?

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 12:23:03 +0200

Hi,

At 04.04 23/05/2009, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>Justin Yaple wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been working on getting my first squid proxy server up, and its
> > been going slow, but good. I got LDAP authentication working, and
> > then group authentication working also. The only problem I found is
> > that a LDAP group with spaces in the name does not work. I have ready
> > online that you should use single quotes to specify group names with
> > spaces but it still does not work.
> >
> > My group name is like "G SG GroupName", and if I use 'G SG GroupName'
> > when I try to start squid it returns "strtokFile: G not found". I
> > have also tried to escapel the space using \. Doing that I could get
> > squid to start without any error, but the login would not work.
> >
> > Anything I can do to get this working with the spaces?
> >
> > This was my guide to getting it setup.
> >
> http://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/ConfiguringSquidProxyToAuthenticateWithActiveDirectory
>
>Not easily. \" indicates reading from a file as you noticed.
>
>Squid-2 has not natural support for character escaping.
>
>Squid-3 contains a token function for this which is not always used
>despite places like this where it should be. Patches to make 3.HEAD use
>it routinely are very welcome.

There is a trick for Windows native helpers, it should apply also to LDAP.

 From the readme of mswin_check_ad_group:

====

Groups with spaces in name, for example "Domain Users", must be quoted and
the acl data ("Domain Users") must be placed into a separate file included
by specifying "/path/to/file". The previous example will be:

acl ProxyUsers external NT_global_group "/usr/local/squid/etc/DomainUsers"

and the DomainUsers files will contain only the following line:

"Domain Users"

====

Hoping that it works with LDAP quoting.

Regards

Guido

>Amos
>--
>Please be using
> Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE6 or 3.0.STABLE15
> Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/