Re: [squid-users] bandwidht control with delay_pools

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:25:06 +1200 (NZST)

> Hi Dayo and others,
>
> The documentation you sended was very useful.
>
> Is there a way to allow a user to use the full bandwidth when avaible,
> but try to assure a minimum bandwidth when lots of users are using the
> link. For example, with a 1Mb link. When user A is downloading a file,
> it uses the full bandwitdh, and other user can barely browse the web. My
> goal is to allow user A to download with full speed when the link is
> 'idle', but garantee at least 128k for the other users, when the try to
> access some page.
>
> Is it possible with squid?

It's a bit of a voodoo hack. Squid has user caps, or global caps. The user
cap can be based on IP or username or some external_acl_type result.

Option 1) the simple one
  pool all requests with files over a certain size. There are gaps which
open when the file has unknown length.

option 1) the big hack.
 Using a class 5 delay pool with external_acl_type tag= that only
'matches' when bandwidth pipe usage is above a threshold.

The two can be combined of course, for a closer catch of problem requests.

Some research is ahead if you choose the class 5 tag pool to discover
exactly how its configured and how it works. My knowledge of it is
currently limited to whats written in the config manual.

Amos