[squid-users] squid2.7 Stable 6 passes in intervals where cpu usage hits 100%

From: Ragheb Rustom <ragheb_at_smartelecom.org>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 13:09:09 +0300

Dear All,

I have been noticing for some time now that my squid server passes in nearly
regular intervals during the day where the squid process CPU usage hits 100%
for around 20 - 30 seconds or so during which squid will not serve requests.
After these 20 -30sec the squid CPU usage drops to around 5 - 13% and
website navigation is normal again. This happens like I said before at
nearly regular intervals during each day several times and it happens only
for around 20 -30sec. I have been observing the cache.log file but there is
nothing apparent there. Is there a way that I know what squid is doing when
this problem happens to try and resolve it as trying to solve it like it is
now with no info about what is going on is somewhat vague. I think this
problem happened after I have changed memory and disk replacement policies
from lru to heap but I am not so sure that this is the source of the
problem. I am using squid2.7-Stable6 on a fedora9 server which is a dual
xeon quad 2.8Ghz CPU with 16Gb of Ram installed and 3 SAS hard drives. One
more thing this server is also running videocache 1.9.1 but it has been
running videocache also before the problem started with no problems
whatsoever. I appreciate any help you can offer me.

Sincerely,

Ragheb Rustom
Smartelecom S.A.R.L
Sin el fil - Mar Elias Street