RE: [squid-users] How to set up squid?

From: Maxime Gaudreault <mgaudreault_at_reference.qc.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 10:08:09 -0400

Configure your proxy box as a bridge

Internet----router----bridge---switch----lan

http://freshmeat.net/articles/configuring-a-transparent-proxywebcache-in
-a-bridge-using-squid-and-ebtables

-----Original Message-----
From: Yan Seiner [mailto:yan_at_seiner.com]
Sent: May-29-09 8:24 AM
To: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
Subject: [squid-users] How to set up squid?

I have a question about setting up squid in my environment.

My network is fairly generic:

a firewall running openwrt, 4 mb flash and 8 mb ram, providing NAT
a server providing DNS and DHCP services; this machine is also used for
terminal services so users are logged in to this machine directly
assorted clients

I've had squid set up on a 'opt-in' basis. Now I have a request to make

it transparent for all users with the intent of disabling web access
during specified hours.

The problem I have is that my firewall is not able to run squid, and all

the examples assume that the squid box is either the firewall or
provides NAT.

Is it possible, without a huge amount of complications, to run squid on
this sort of setup?

If so, does anyone have a recipe for doing so?

Thanks,

--Yan

--
Yan Seiner