Re: [squid-users] Squid Book(s)

From: Jeff Pang <pangj_at_arcor.de>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 11:28:46 +0800

Daniel:
> Hello,
>
> I will begin building a PoC Squid environment. Right now the latest
> book that I can find on Squid is dated 2004 (5.5 years old!!). It's the
> O'Reilly Media book, 'Squid: The Definitive Guide' (ISBN: 0596001622 /
> 978-0596001629).
>
> One of my co-workers already has this book and I had already browsed
> through it. I want something on 3.0, is there anything 'out there'?

AFAIK, there is not a special book for squid-3.0 and even after 2.6.
The Definitive Guide was written when there was only squid-2.5.

But most important stuff like ACL,cache_dir,cache intercept,cache
hierarchy,redirector,helpers,logs were not changed much since 2.5.

The only big change I know from 2.5 to 2.6 is the reverse-proxy mode.
But reverse-proxy configure for 2.6 (and 2.7,3.0 etc) is easier than
2.5, you could find the document from squid wiki.

If you really like paper book, you could still read that book "Squid The
Definitive Guide". Follow its steps to build a new squid from the begin
and make it run correctly, try to know its basic elements like
ACL,cache_dir,cache_memory,logs etc.Then you could try to make some
advanced setup like transparent proxy,reverse proxy,authentication
etc.If you meet the problems at that time,welcome back to ask here.Yes,
there are some Squid experts and developers on this list,they can help
you much.

--
Jeff Pang
DingTong Technology