Re: [squid-users] squid config file - cache_dns_program and number of instances

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 15:30:56 +1200

Balaji Ganesan wrote:
> In the squid conf file, we have the following
>
> cache_dns_program ./xxxxdnsserver.exe dns_children 5
>
> What this causes is , it spawns 6 processes for dns look up and shows
> up on task maanger as 6 different processes. Users are getting wary
> of 6 processes and also they think some kind of hack utility/Trojan
> is running. Is there a way ,we can change or modify squid.conf file
> to run as threads instead of 6 processes?

Not with current Squid.

You can however use the internal DNS client with Squid 2.6 or later.
This is many orders of magnitude faster than the old obsolete dnsserver
helper.

If your users are that paranoid, they are likely to be itching for a
"Format C:" before much longer.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.8 or 3.0.STABLE16-RC1