Re: [squid-users] How to reduce objects size,

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 18:59:34 +1200

Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz wrote:
> Le vendredi 5 juin 2009 08:30:50, vous avez écrit :
>> Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz wrote:
>>> hi Squids,
>>>
>>> I wonder to know if there is a way to reduce size of objects that passes
>>> over squid. I mean for example:
>>> 1. Get red of all CRLF or useless spaces on html files
>>> 2. Reduce paletes or colors in JPG/GIFs files
>>>
>>> Do you have any comment?
>> Firstly, think very, VERY carefully about the consequences of altering
>> other peoples copyright information without any context to how it plugs
>> into anything else. ie considered stripping whitespace from xml embeded
>> python when its labeled as text/html? or optimizing the magic
>> application/x-octet-stream?.
>> It's a slippery slope leading to a lot of deep trouble.
>>

>> Then look for content filters that do what you want.
>>
>> Squid can plug in sequence with another proxy if the filter acts as a
>> proxy.
>>
>> Squid 3.x also provide ICAP/eCAP interfaces for content adaptation if
>> the filter provides such an interface.
>>
>> Or Squid provides a redirector interface for certain older style filters
>> to be hack up with
>>

>> Amos
> Thanx
>
> Whats exactly differents betwen ICAP and eCAP, I only know ICAP.

ICAP uses a remote server software outside Squid to scan. eCAP loads the
scanner library right into Squid instead of into the separate ICAP server.

> :)
>
> The fact is that I'm looking for a squid as proxy for some mobile devices. So
> it would be a waste or resource to receive 2k of CRLF and useless spaces.
>
> Not other altering propourse.
>
> :)

Well, as I said. Think very carefully ;)
The gzip'ing plugin may be something else to look at.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.8 or 3.0.STABLE16-RC1