[squid-users] Applying ACLs to access_log directive

From: Jon Gregory <jon.gregory_at_innovatelogistics.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:09:50 +0100

I am using SquidNT 2.7 STABLE 5 on WinXP SP3 running as a service and would like to sense check what I am attempting but failing to achieve.  From all the documentation I have read from Visolve, squid-cache.org FAQ and this lists history I am creating a valid set of directives in the below format.

access_log <filepath> [<logformat name> [acl acl ...]]

I am wanting to direct logging to individual files depending on the source network while still capturing all requests in the access.log.  The example below is how I have attempted to implement this but the result is that access.log logs all events which is okay but the network specific logs remain empty.

acl NET_A src 192.168.0.0/24
acl NET_A src 10.20.30.0/24
acl NET_B src 192.168.1.0/24
acl NET_C src 192.168.2.0/24

access_log c:/squid/var/logs/access_NET_A.log squid NET_A
access_log c:/squid/var/logs/access_NET_B.log squid NET_B
access_log c:/squid/var/logs/access_NET_C.log squid NET_C
access_log c:/squid/var/logs/access.log squid

In an attempt to test I have also implemented a usergroup based ACL I can get logging to individual files and to the catch all access.log which works as I would expect.

acl Admins external NT_local_group Administrators

access_log c:/squid/var/logs/access_ADMINS.log squid Admins
access_log c:/squid/var/logs/access.log squid

What am I not understanding?  Is there a dependence on the acl type when using access_log?

This message is meant for the sole viewing of the addressee. If you have received this message in error please reply to the sender to inform them of their mistake. The views and opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily endorsed by Innovate Logistics Ltd (Company No. 02058414). Disclaimer : This e-mail has been scanned using Anti-Virus Software, although all efforts have been made to make this email safe it is always a wise precaution to scan this message with your own Anti-Virus Software.