Re: [squid-users] Is something out there bamboozling Squid?

From: Travel Factory S.r.l. <mc8647tv_at_mclink.it>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:40:58 +0200

We have been having similar problems in the last month, just after lunch time - we are in Italy and we have about 80 mbit and 2500 users. Each one of the 4 Squid 2.6 has trend micro IWSS as parent, so client -> SQUID ->IWSS -> internet. Not everybody uses the proxyesl.. it happens that all the proxies start to have greater load, up to more than 100 !
I'm looking for ways to debug the situation, and I will create a specific thread to ask for help...

Instead, yesterday, only one squid showed similar problems, one at time. I discovered that:

1 - different clients were asking the page http://www.facebook.com/undefined in burst of 200 queries in 2 seconds...
2 - one user (a subscriber of rapidshare) was downloading something, about 50 .rar files, about 5 of them concurrently and using a download manager that split the file donwload in chunks (and I think squid was unconfortable with the situation) - and the rar created a load also in the antivirus....

I ended up with a dedicated proxy (via proxy.pac) for rapidshare and facebook, in order to monitor the situation in a better way....