Re: [squid-users] Should i enable mikrotik bandwidth sharing or leave it to Squid?

From: Leonardo Rodrigues <leolistas_at_solutti.com.br>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:52:38 -0300

Mark Lodge escreveu:
> My wireless setup is as follows
>
> Client PC ------- Mikrotik-----Squid Cache Server------Internet
>
> Do you suggest that I should configure PCQ (equal/fair bandwidth
> sharing/distribution) on the Mikrotik routerboard or should i leave
> the bandwidth sharing to Squid as suggested by Amos?

    there's no correct answer for your question, it all depends on your
network topology and your desires.

    if you desire to control bandwidth of ALL traffics (P2P, SMTP, POP,
HTTP, etc etc), then you should do it in mikrotik. If you want only http
bandwidth control, then it can be done on squid. But if your client PC
uses anything different than http, which does not goes through squid,
then bandwidth would be unlimited.

    each one is correct ??? The one that meet your needs. There's no
correct answer without knowing what you want.

    but i suspect you want to control the FULL traffic, then doing in
Mikrotik would be probably smarter.

--
	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues