Re: [squid-users] Multiple Parent Proxies

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:19:14 -0800

Raspino,Brian M. wrote:
> Wow, my apologies, I did not mean to resend that, I meant to send this
> instead:
>
> Hello,
> I am kind of new to squid and I keep getting this Failed to Select
> Source Error in my var/log file. What I am trying to do is have quid
> forward connections to another proxy if the destination is within a
> particular network. To do this I modified the squid.conf as such:
>
> Acl acl_plant1 dst 10.97.20.98/27
> Cache_peer_access 'ip of proxy' allow acl_plant
> Never_direct allow all

This means...

1) For any destination in 10.97.20.97-10.97.20.127 use 'ip of proxy' as
a parent
2) Never try to go direct for any reason

...which leaves traffic for any other destination without a path (and
leads to a "Failed to Select Source" error).

> I'm not really sure what's wrong, I'm assuming that its having trouble
> connecting to the next proxy but I don't know why.

You might eliminate the "never_direct allow all" and instead set both
"prefer_direct" and "nonhierarchical_direct" to off. An alternative
would be "never_direct allow acl_plant1". But those are just a guesses
based on the limited information given.

> Thanks for any Help,
> Brian

Chris