[squid-users] memory usage for squid-3.0.STABLE15

From: <Martin.Pichlmaier_at_continental-corporation.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:39:01 +0200

Hi Everybody,

I have a question regarding memory usage for squid. I have 4 proxies, each
has about 200-400 req/s and 2-5 MB/s with ntlm_auth and about 1000 lines
of acl,
squid version is 3.0.STABLE15 on Redhat AS 5 Linux.
They are busy servers and therefore have no disk cache but memory cache of
6144 MB (6 GB) and provide the internet access for some 10k users.
That is the reason we use no disk cache: Disk cache resulted in huge
iowaits and poor performance even though the servers are
HP ProLiant DL380 G5 with a RAID controller that had 256 or 512 MB of
read/write caching. Performance was poor even with caches distributed on
different disks.

The squid process needed about 7.5 to 7.8 GB and that seems reasonable.
After we enabled ICAP (c_icap with clamav virus scanning) the memory usage
of the squid process rose to about 12.8 GB.

Is this a normal behaviour with squid when icap is enabled?

Following is the icap configuration part in squid.conf:

+++++++++++++++++
icap_enable on
icap_preview_enable on
icap_preview_size 128
icap_service service_avi respmod_precache 0
icap://localhost:1344/srv_clamav
icap_class class_antivirus service_avi
icap_access class_antivirus allow all

I enabled ICAP only for resonse, not for the requests up to now, therefore
there is no reqmod entry

The old configuration was with parent proxy (where the virus scanning took
place before), now the squids send the requests directly to internet (no
parent proxy).

Regards,
Martin