Re: [squid-users] memory usage for squid-3.0.STABLE15

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 06:13:26 +0200

On 25.06.09 15:39, Martin.Pichlmaier_at_continental-corporation.com wrote:
> I have a question regarding memory usage for squid. I have 4 proxies, each
> has about 200-400 req/s and 2-5 MB/s with ntlm_auth and about 1000 lines
> of acl,
> squid version is 3.0.STABLE15 on Redhat AS 5 Linux.
> They are busy servers and therefore have no disk cache but memory cache of
> 6144 MB (6 GB) and provide the internet access for some 10k users.
[...]
> The squid process needed about 7.5 to 7.8 GB and that seems reasonable.
> After we enabled ICAP (c_icap with clamav virus scanning) the memory usage
> of the squid process rose to about 12.8 GB.
>
> Is this a normal behaviour with squid when icap is enabled?

It's quite possible that when icap is enables, squid must reserve some
memory for icap i/o buffers.
Although only one buffer may be teoretically needed, it's possible that
squid uses two of them.

the user memory highly depends on number and size of the uncached objects
being accessed (i think cached objects aren't re-checked, are they?)

WinError #98652: Operation completed successfully.