Re: [squid-users] Serving from the cache when the origin server crashes

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil_at_semihuman.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:36:12 -0400

Take a careful look at the stale-if-error Cache-control header, as
described below:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-http-stale-if-error-01

In a nutshell, this allows you to force squid to serve up objects if
the origin is down, even if those objects are stale, for a
configurable number of seconds after the object's original stale
timestamp.

However, you'll still have the overhead of squid attempting to reach
the origin, failing, then serving up the stale object on each request
- as such, I'd highly recommend making sure that if you use this, you
shut down the server in such a way that it generates an ICMP
Destination Unreachable reply when squid attempts to connect.
If you take the server off the air completely, squid will have to wait
for network timeouts before returning the stale content, which your
users will notice.

Of course, you'll need to make sure that squid has your site cached in
its entirety - it can't retrieve not-cached content from a dead
server :)

Amos, can you confirm that 3.x supports this? I'm using it in 2.7.

-C