RE: [squid-users] Serving from the cache when the origin server crashes

From: Elli Albek <elli_at_sustainlane.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:42:04 -0700

Thanks, this is basically the solution. Can I do header override in squid to
add this if the origin does not send this header?

Would it make sense for squid to keep the state of the origin server for a
few seconds, so it dose not have to contact it when it is not accessible on
each individual request? Something like:

1. If origin responds to a request, set origin state to active.
2. If origin does not respond to a request, set origin state to "not
active". This expires after a few seconds.
3. If origin state is not defined, it is assumed to be active.
4. If origin state is "not active", do not forward more than one request at
a time.

Sounds little bit like a can of worms :)

Elli