Re: [squid-users] Re: can't failover in round-robin

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:43:07 +0200

fre 2009-06-26 klockan 10:18 +0400 skrev Ken Peng:

> After long time (it's about 3 minutes), Squid found that peer was dead.
> So my question is, by what way squid will find a peer is dead or alive?
> Why it takes so long time?

It's not time, it's 10 requests forwarded to the peer. The more traffic
you have the faster this is, but when testing with a single user it may
feel slow.

There is three things you can do

a. Tune down the connect timeout. Can be set either globally or per
peer. This speeds up detection when a host is shut down.

b. Enable retry_on_error making Squid automatically try the next
possible path on failure.

c. Enable the per-peer monitorurl feature (not yet available in Squid-3)
telling Squid to actively monitor the health of the peer.

All can be combined freely.