Re: [squid-users] Architecture

From: Ronan Lucio <listas_at_tiper.com.br>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:05:22 -0300

Adrian,

Adrian Chadd escreveu:
> Just another random datapoint - I've just deployed my Squid-2
> derivative (which is at least as fast as Squid-2.HEAD) as a forward
> proxy on some current generation hardware. It's peaking at 700
> requests/sec and ~120mbit a sec with a ~ 30% byte hit rate.
>
> A reverse proxy with a high hit rate should do quite a bit better than that.

Could you tell what hardware do you use?
Reading Squid-Guide
(http://www.deckle.co.za/squid-users-guide/Installing_Squid) it says
Squid isn't CPU intensive, says a multiprocessor machines would not
increase speed dramatically.

I know this docs is so old, but it talks about machines like a Pentium
133 with 128 Mb RAM.

So initially I was thinking in Dual QuadCore + 4Gb RAM. Now I'm thinking
in a Single QuadCore + 2Gb.
What do you think about that?

I think a throughput like yours would be great for me.

Another question: How many disks do you use?
In other words: Do I need some special disk strategy to achieve such a
throughput?

Thanks,
Ronan