Re: [squid-users] Architecture

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:02:15 +0800

2009/6/30 Ronan Lucio <listas_at_tiper.com.br>:

> Could you tell what hardware do you use?
> Reading Squid-Guide
> (http://www.deckle.co.za/squid-users-guide/Installing_Squid) it says Squid
> isn't CPU intensive, says a multiprocessor machines would not increase speed
> dramatically.

Its a dual quad core amd of some sort. Squid is CPU intensive but
currently only uses 1 CPU for the main application. You'll get
benefits from having multi-core machines but only for offloading
network and disk processing onto them.

> I know this docs is so old, but it talks about machines like a Pentium 133
> with 128 Mb RAM.
>
> So initially I was thinking in Dual QuadCore + 4Gb RAM. Now I'm thinking in
> a Single QuadCore + 2Gb.

Another Squid rule - "as much RAM as possible."

> What do you think about that?
>
> I think a throughput like yours would be great for me.
>
> Another question: How many disks do you use?
> In other words: Do I need some special disk strategy to achieve such a
> throughput?

Like anything, your best bet is to test and document the performance.
In this case, its "lots of disk on a sensible RAID controller, but no
RAID." I wasn't given time to benchmark RAID vs non-RAID but in this
particular workload, RAID has never ever been faster in my testing in
cases other than the RAID card itself being buggy. Others have a
differing opinion.

Adrian