[squid-users] Multiple simultaneous requests

From: Judson <nyarly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:33:35 -0700 (PDT)

I'm working with an application that generates a sort of strange traffic
pattern, which is really hurting our cache rate. Basically, all of our
users request a specific URL at the same time. As a result, we get many
many misses as subsequent requests are coming in before the proxy request
has returned to populate the cache.

In other words:
Browser A makes a request for /resource_x?v=1. This is the first request
for this resource, so it's a MISS, and Squid goes on to request the resource
from our app server.

Browser B makes a request for /resource_x?v=1. Even though A is still
waiting for the response to its request, this is still a MISS, so Squid
makes a second request for the same resource.

(and so on, until...)

The first response to Squid's request for /resource_x?v=1 comes back, Squid
returns its response to (probably) browser A, and subsequent requests get
HITs.

My question is: is there a way to configure Squid such that it recognizes
that it's currently waiting on a specific resource, and block subsequent
requests until the response it makes comes back? In other words, all the
B's still count as MISSES, but Squid only makes *one* request back to the
app server?

Judson