Re: [squid-users] cache size and structure

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 04:48:23 +0200

On 25.06.09 23:01, Riccardo Castellani wrote:
> excuse me, 1 megabit per second for a week, so :
> 1 Mb *60*60*24*7=604.800 / 8 = 75.600 MB about 76 GB traffic for week.
> I'm refering both inbound and outbound traffic (1 Mbps in , 1 Mbps out).

Well, that is just one megabit per second. That is the link bandwidth, it's
irelevant to provide different interval, you are just confusing us (or at
least me). We can count how much does that make for a day, week, month, year

>> If users acess your squid directly (not only through child proxies), there
>> may be the need for cache_mem.
>
> some users access by child squids

so, some users access directly your squid?

>> I have "48 256" for 20GiB cache. If you take the number of files in the
>> cache directory, divide by 256 (l2 dirs) and 256 (max files in l2 dir), you
>> should get the approximate need of l1 dirs. The average object size is
>> aropund 13KiB, which means, you should have one L1 cache_Dir per ~800MiB of
>> cache size. Splitting small files to COSS (using min-size option for *ufs
>> and max-size for COSS) will make that even smaller number, since only big
>> iles will be placed to *ufs directory hierarchy.
>

> I'm sorry but I didn't understand.
> How can I enable COSS ?

by using configure option when building squid. It's only stable in squid-2.7
though. If you have 2.7 already built, check if it's not enabled anymore,
and you can reserve some disk space for COSS cache_dir.

look at http://devel.squid-cache.org/coss/index.html
and http://devel.squid-cache.org/coss/coss-notes.txt

Christian Science Programming: "Let God Debug It!".