[squid-users] Very strange squid problem

From: jotacekm <minuzzo_at_viaip.com.br>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 07:20:05 -0700 (PDT)

We have a proxy server running squid with a good number of clients connected.

Sometimes clients just cant browse pages anymore (not all clients, but
most). They can ping the proxy, ping to outside servers, resolve dns, and so
does the proxy server.
I checked CPU (5-10% usage), memory (not swapping), Disk, load, connections,
firewall, everything is fine. No errors on systems logs and cache.log. Squid
is up and running. Squid FD limit is 4096 but wasnt even near this limit
(netstat -na | grep 3128 | wc -l returned around 400 and lsof -nPi | grep
squid | wc -l returned around 30)

So, on the proxy server, I try "telnet 127.0.0.1 3128".Sometimes it times
out, sometimes it connects quickly, sometimes it takes like 5 seconds to
connect. I tried a lot of times and this is what keeps happening, most of
the time it does not connect. If i run squid -k reconfigure, telnet goes
back to normal and people browsing goes back to normal.

Has anyone here ever had a problem like this? Any ideas on what might be the
cause?