Re: [squid-users] Squid logging to /var/log/messages

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:14:11 +1200

Chris Robertson wrote:
> a bv wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On a squid on Redhat EL , syslog-ng is installed and while also squid
>> is logging on the local itself also its configured to send the logs
>> also to an other syslog-ng server. I dont know if it begin from the
>> begiing of this sys-logng and other configuration , it seems that now
>> also on the squid server send the logs also to the its
>> /var/log/messages file. After commenting the syslog-ng servers related
>> config on squid configuration file it stopped sending to var/log
>> mesages. How and why this var/log/mesaages thing happened any idea?
>>

> "rpm -q --changelog squid" will give you the documentation available for
> the changes made to the RPM. Run that command through "less" or "grep"
> to search for any mention of "syslog".
>
> Squid (as distributed from squid-cache.org) exclusively uses it's own
> logging routines.

He said it was explicitly configured to log to syslog. Which Squid can do.

Echoing certain information levels (critical etc) to local messages file
is one of the things syslog-ng does unless configured not to AFAIK. I
suspect something changed during an upgrade of either Squid (maye higher
levels?) or syslog-ng (maybe replaced/altered the orginal config).

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.9