Re: [squid-users] Squid logging to /var/log/messages

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 17:14:28 -0800

Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Chris Robertson wrote:
>> a bv wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On a squid on Redhat EL , syslog-ng is installed and while also squid
>>> is logging on the local itself also its configured to send the logs
>>> also to an other syslog-ng server. I dont know if it begin from the
>>> begiing of this sys-logng and other configuration , it seems that now
>>> also on the squid server send the logs also to the its
>>> /var/log/messages file. After commenting the syslog-ng servers related
>>> config on squid configuration file it stopped sending to var/log
>>> mesages. How and why this var/log/mesaages thing happened any idea?
>>>

>> "rpm -q --changelog squid" will give you the documentation available
>> for the changes made to the RPM. Run that command through "less" or
>> "grep" to search for any mention of "syslog".
>>
>> Squid (as distributed from squid-cache.org) exclusively uses it's own
>> logging routines.
>>

> He said it was explicitly configured to log to syslog. Which Squid can
> do.

Understood, but the default config (as distributed from squid-cache.org)
doesn't do this (last I looked). The original poster also stated that
he is using RedHat EL, which leads me to believe that he is using the
official RedHat distributed RPMs. The changelog of RedHat's Squid RPM
might (should?) give insight into when they set logging up to use
syslog-ng*.

> Echoing certain information levels (critical etc) to local messages
> file is one of the things syslog-ng does unless configured not to
> AFAIK. I suspect something changed during an upgrade of either Squid
> (maye higher levels?) or syslog-ng (maybe replaced/altered the orginal
> config).

The former change should be documented in the changelog for the Squid
RPM, the latter would be unlikely (usually configuration files are
marked as such in the RPM spec file, and are not over-written), but
should be documented in the syslog-ng ROM changelog.

> Amos

Chris

* Assuming they did. The Squid RPM shouldn't overwrite the Squid config
file, so I am further assuming this is all in reference to a new
install. I probably should have asked more questions instead of making
so many assumptions. Bleh.