Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy: Why does one file get disk hit, but the other memory hit (consistently)?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 03:13:07 +0200

tis 2009-07-14 klockan 00:41 -0700 skrev Elli Albek:

> What is the reason that one file type is not cached in memory, but still
> cached on disk? If I ask this file a few times in a row it should be in
> memory, but it is always on disk. If squid caches it with LRU, shouldn't it
> be in the memory cache if it's the last file accessed?

There is many factors.

1. squid.conf limits on what is kept in memory

2. The silly fact that once an object has been purged from memory for
one reason or another it won't get back into memory until it is
refreshed from the origin server. Only objects fetched from network can
end up in the memory cache currently.