Re: [squid-users] RE: Squid on Windows, slow file transfers

From: Serassio Guido <guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 22:07:52 +0200

Hi,

At 17.58 21/07/2009, Joseph Jamieson wrote:

>I installed Squid 2.7.STABLE6 on a Linux virtual machine, which is
>running on the same physical machine that Squid on Windows is
>running. I copied the configuration file in, changed a couple
>paths to the Linux paths, and started up Squid.
>
>I then changed the NAT to the Virtual Machine, and now file
>transfers are as fast as they should be. While this solution
>works, I'd rather not have to run another virtual machine just for
>Squid when it works fine under Windows except for the slow transfers..
>
>It sounds like there's a bug in Squid windows, or some hidden
>setting or something? I can't imagine I'm the first person to
>encounter this problem.

The problem could be Windows itself: the network I/O capability of
Squid when running on Windows is limited "by design" because select()
is the only multiplatform compatible comm loop available, but it's
the worse ....

On same HW, a Linux build will be always a better performer.

Regards

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/