Re: [squid-users] RE: Squid on Windows, slow file transfers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:49:57 +0200

tis 2009-07-21 klockan 22:07 +0200 skrev Serassio Guido:

> The problem could be Windows itself: the network I/O capability of
> Squid when running on Windows is limited "by design" because select()
> is the only multiplatform compatible comm loop available, but it's
> the worse ....

Just a comment based on earlier experiences of similar 200KB/s symptoms
on other platforms.

When this is seen Squid usually somehow missed the event notification,
causing it to sleep in select() even when there is processing to do.
This has been seen in the following cases

  - Event timing errors, sleeping in select() even if there is timed
events pending to be run NOW.
  - Delay pools logic errors
  - Missing disk I/O notifications slowing down cache hits while misses
still fast.
  - SSL server code in certain conditions (decrypted data already
available) when using Squid as an https:// server

Most times when this family of issues is seen having other requests
running at high speed "cures" the problem by kicking Squid constantly
alive processing.

The performance issues of select() is mainly seen when the number of
connections is large and is not an issue when the number of concurrent
users is reasonably small (hundreds), while the 200K capping due to
reasons as listed above is mainly seen when practically alone using the
proxy.