Re: [squid-users] Writing Cookies in SQUID

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:11:29 +1200

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:43:54 -0400, "ADEBAYO, FOLUSO, ATTSI"
<fa682m_at_att.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to write a cookie variable to a response from a client in
> Squid so that next time a request comes from that client I can take an
> action. Can someone please point me in the direction of where I would
> need to make the changes in Squid 2.6.
>
> thanks

Clients do not 'response' to Squid. They make requests. The cookie needs to
be generated against the domain the client requested, and will be passed
publicly to the web server actually generating the response whenever the
client requests that articular domain, not simply in the next request.

I would suggest instead looking into an external ACL helper that can track
client IPs and the domains they visit, then do the action based on its own
tracking state. This is much simpler and does not involve hacking the web
requests/response being publicly transmitted. Nor hacking the Squid code to
abuse HTTP.

Amos