Re: [squid-users] how much RAM for squid proxy

From: qwertyjjj <webster_jack_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 10:17:00 -0700 (PDT)

 Originally Posted by linuxlover.chaitanya View Post
I have got no idea why people are forcing on huge RAM for squid. If you are
not running graphical then 2gb is gotta be enough for you. But it will also
depend on how much clients you are going to serve. Earlier I had a running
squid on a old p3 machine with 512megs ram serving about 40 clients without
any issues or bandwidth or speed lag. Now I have upgraded the machine to a
pentium dual core with 1 gig of ram. And obviously do not run gnome or kde
but it keeps more than 50% of ram free.
I suppose it depends on how squid is used.
If squid is used as a simple proxy just relaying connections without storing
much of the data for caching does it need much disk space?

I mean if you need:
Quote:
Thus, a system with 512 MB of RAM can support a 16-GB disk cache. Your
mileage may vary, of course.
Most servers are in the region of 160Gb+, this would be an extraordinary
amount or RAM needed.

Can squid limit bandwidth for each user?
The line I have can support up to 100Mbits so that's a fair whack. Each user
might only need 1Mbps each.