Re: [squid-users] Squid high bandwidth IO issue (ramdisk SSD)

From: Waitman Gobble <waitman_at_waitman.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 02:14:24 -0700

smaugadi wrote:
> Dear ALL,
> We have a squid server with high volume of traffic, 200 – 300 MB.
> The server is in transparent mode and using 18GB of ramdisk. With this configuration performance is very good (after optimizing the squid and the linux machine).
> The problem is the small size of cache directory.
> Since IO is a big issue with squid we purchased the intel ssd x25-m 160gb

hmmmm, i have not yet experimented with an ssd, but i've read that it's
advised to disable swap because heavy reads/writes kill the thing. the
information was in regards to using an ssd on a netbook running linux -
(for example running windows on the netbook with an ssd is certain
death, unavoidable doom - as you probably know windows machines read and
write to the disk like there's no tomorrow, and for no real good reason
- they swap just for the heck of it, even just turning the thing on it
starts swapping)

so... it would make sense to me that you're going to experience troubles
running a high traffic cache on an ssd.

Waitman