Re: [squid-users] End-to-end reload?

From: Ric <lists_at_dvgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:10:53 -0700

On Aug 5, 2009, at 10:03 AM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> ons 2009-08-05 klockan 07:58 -0700 skrev Ric:
>> I've recently been made aware that Apache supports something called
>> "end-to-end reload" (apparently documented in http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.9.4)
>> .
>>
>> I'm curious if Squid exhibits similar behavior.
>
> Yes, by default unless you override it.
>
>> The way the Apache developers appear to interpret this spec, a
>> *request* containing a "Cache-Control: no-cache" header will
>> essentially "purge" the Apache's cache during a forced reload request
>> to the backend. Previously I had assumed that a client-initiated
>> forced reload would just bypass any proxy caches without touching the
>> cached entries themselves, except for the client's cache. Is this
>> not
>> the way Squid behaves?
>
> Well, while it is true that the no-cache request in itself do not
> touch
> the cache Squid still acts on the response.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Yes, that is what I meant. Squid passes the request through, leaving
it's cache untouched. Apache on the other hand appears to expire it's
cache in the process (although I have not yet tested this).

I've re-read the relevant spec a few times and I'm still not sure
which behavior is the correct one. Any thoughts?

Ric