Re: [squid-users] proxy: explicit & transparent + VideoCache

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:34:09 +1200

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 07:18:41 -0000, "pavel kolodin"
<pavelkolodin_at_gmail.com>
wrote:
> My squid + videocache returns HTTP 303 (see other) with URL
> "http://10.10.10.1/videocache/youtube/1231...5151.flv" to browser.
>
> If i set proxy address and port in browser's settings, browser will do
> request to "http://10.10.10.1/videocache..." returned with 303 by squid
> and successfully downloads wideo.
>
> But if browser don't know about proxy and im using transparent proxy
> (iptables -> REDIRECT -> 80 to 3128) then browser won't request
> "http://10.10.10.1" (to be more precise - flash plugin won't do that
> request), but all pages and picrutes and SWFs etc. downloads OK.
>
> Why?

Possible reasons:

1) 302 being the status you really want to use for this.

2) "transparent proxy" aka "intercepting proxy" aka "man-in-middle attack"
perhapse the plugin is smart enough to detect such attacks and prevent them
from working.

3) perhapse the plugins is simply smart enough to realize it will never get
a redirect back from the real source.

4) perhapse the browser does not have access to the new location.

5) perhapse the browser is limiting the sources the plugin may connect to.
raw-IP addresses are known to be dangerous.

Amos