[squid-users] Kerberos authentication & pre-caching in Squid for Windows

From: Holly King <catzwiskas_at_hotmail.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 09:30:03 +0000

Hello, I'm trying to set up a pilot to replace proprietary caches in
schools. Because of training issues with on-site technicians I'm kinda
stuck with using Windows but would like to use Squid.

Stumbling
block 1 - I've not been able to find any documentation on Kerberos
authentication by Squid for Windows (just on *nix), can anyone point me
in the right direction? Ideally I would want to be able to
authenticate on a group level so site technicians just move accounts
into/out of a group to allow or deny access. Also, is there a way to
add whitelists regardless so pupils can be banned from the internet yet
still access resources needed for lessons?

Stumbling block 2 -
Is there any way to automate pre-caching of specific large sites to be
nibbled overnight, ready for the next day? This is a much used feature
of the existing caches.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, if I
can get this working it will be a major incursion of open source into
an MS-only bastion and possibly save me from going crazy in the midst
of faceless suits>_<

Holly
xx

Celebrate a decade of Messenger with free winks, emoticons, display pics, and more.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/