Re: [squid-users] Kerberos authentication & pre-caching in Squid for Windows

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 12:21:41 +0200

Hi,

At 11.30 07/08/2009, Holly King wrote:

>Hello, I'm trying to set up a pilot to replace proprietary caches in
>schools. Because of training issues with on-site technicians I'm kinda
>stuck with using Windows but would like to use Squid.
>
>Stumbling
>block 1 - I've not been able to find any documentation on Kerberos
>authentication by Squid for Windows (just on *nix), can anyone point me
>in the right direction? Ideally I would want to be able to
>authenticate on a group level so site technicians just move accounts
>into/out of a group to allow or deny access. Also, is there a way to
>add whitelists regardless so pupils can be banned from the internet yet
>still access resources needed for lessons?

A Windows native Negotiate (Kerberos) helper is included in official
Squid sources starting from Squid 2.6 STABLE 1.

Just download the latest 2.7 binaries for Windows
(http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/BinaryPackages) and configure
squid to use the mswin_negotiate_auth.exe helper for negotiate auth
schema, no options are required, it works just out of the box.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio_at_acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/