Re: [squid-users] Kerberos authentication & pre-caching in Squid for Windows

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 00:13:15 +1200

Guido Serassio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At 11.30 07/08/2009, Holly King wrote:
>
>> Hello, I'm trying to set up a pilot to replace proprietary caches in
>> schools. Because of training issues with on-site technicians I'm kinda
>> stuck with using Windows but would like to use Squid.
>>
>> Stumbling
>> block 1 - I've not been able to find any documentation on Kerberos
>> authentication by Squid for Windows (just on *nix), can anyone point me
>> in the right direction? Ideally I would want to be able to
>> authenticate on a group level so site technicians just move accounts
>> into/out of a group to allow or deny access. Also, is there a way to
>> add whitelists regardless so pupils can be banned from the internet yet
>> still access resources needed for lessons?
>
> A Windows native Negotiate (Kerberos) helper is included in official
> Squid sources starting from Squid 2.6 STABLE 1.
>
> Just download the latest 2.7 binaries for Windows
> (http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/BinaryPackages) and configure
> squid to use the mswin_negotiate_auth.exe helper for negotiate auth
> schema, no options are required, it works just out of the box.
>
> Regards
>
> Guido

In a school situation you will also find the collapsed_forwarding
features of Squid very useful. It can reduce/collapse a full classroom
worth of duplicate requests for the same lesson website, down to a set
of single requests to fetch the page once.

It might even be a better replacement for the overnight pre-caching you
asked about. Which by the way requires some scripting and external tools
such as wget or squidclient to spider the websites and fetch things.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.13