Re: [squid-users] Add a prefix/suffix if a domain is not resolved?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 23:12:20 +0200

lör 2009-08-08 klockan 15:54 +0200 skrev Kinkie:
> Many browsers already do this.
>
> With Squid you can use a redirector scriptan but you'll have to write
> your custom script, such a functionality is not bundled with squid.

Indeed.. and didn't I write such a script some many years ago? Or was it
someone else who posted one.. don't remember.

A better alternative is to use a PAC script in the browser, forwarding
only known domains to the proxy. Domains which do not resolve is then
handled by the browser like how it would do if not using a proxy (as
it's not for those domains...).

Drawback from the PAC approach is longer initial pageloads as the
clients also need to DNS lookup each visited domain, before forwarding
the request to the proxy which then also performs a DNS Lookup. But if
both is sharing the same caching dns resolver and clients have
reasonable connectivity to this DNS resolver then it should not be too
bad.. But if clients have limited connectivity then performing DNS
lookups in the clients is not something I would recommend unless
absolutely needed.