Re: [squid-users] Howto run Internet Explorer without proxy setting in Internet Options

From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 23:20:55 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009, Andrej van der Zee wrote:

> I mean, is there really nothing on Windows that you can instruct to
> forward all outgoing TCP/UDP traffic to port 80/443 to a port on a
> remote machine? I just need the remote proxy server to be accessed
> transparently, without using the browser setting. Is that really
> impossible on Windows? That is hard to believe, there must be a way.

It sounds like what you're looking for is that the proxy be transparent to
the web server not to the web browser.

If you're in a position to set up squid on the remote server, a VPN might
be the best approach to this. You can do that in a very simple way with
ssh:

http://fermiparadox.wordpress.com/2008/06/12/vpn-with-openssh/

Though you probably can configure squid to not forward any headers which
reveals itself.

Gavin