[squid-users] caching dynamic image content

From: Terry <td3201_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:19:54 -0500

Hello,

I don't have squid implemented yet.

I am researching a web architecture issue I am seeing with a site.
Squid may be a bandaid for what I think may be some poor development
architecture decisions. There are concerns that the site is written
in a way that browsers and reverse proxies cannot cache it
appropriately. And these aren't my concerns by the way. We also have
A10 load balancers in house that do some caching. They said they
can't cache this content. I don't want to go into their reasoning
because I don't believe it.

Here's an example of an image as seen from the client. I pulled this
right out of my firefox memory cache:
http://foo.domain.com/Image.aspx?i=db1edbcd-2375-4bae-b33f-a53ced60deed

1. If it's in the memory cache, can I assume that browsers and proxies
can cache it? Also, I never saw these objects in my disk cache. Not
sure if that's significant or not.

2. Does firefox still interpret this as an image and cache it as one
or is this considered dynamic content that may be problematic?

I think that's enough information to start a conversation. Thanks for
any insight!