Re: [squid-users] caching dynamic image content

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:55:11 +0200

ons 2009-08-12 klockan 22:19 -0500 skrev Terry:

> Here's an example of an image as seen from the client. I pulled this
> right out of my firefox memory cache:
> http://foo.domain.com/Image.aspx?i=db1edbcd-2375-4bae-b33f-a53ced60deed

If thai i argument is a session variable then you will need to teach
Squid to ignore that for caching to work. If not each new session will
be seen as different objects (URI differs).

> 1. If it's in the memory cache, can I assume that browsers and proxies
> can cache it? Also, I never saw these objects in my disk cache. Not
> sure if that's significant or not.

If you never saw them in the disk cache then it's quite likely there is
http headers which indicates that trhe object should/must not be cached.

> 2. Does firefox still interpret this as an image and cache it as one
> or is this considered dynamic content that may be problematic?

Can't say without seeing the returned HTTP headers.

You can see the HTTP headers by using either

  * Plugin to Firefox or IE which shows HTTP header details

  * Squid, using "log_mime_hdrs on" in squid.conf

  * A packet level analyzer like wireshark

  * Or a number of other similar options.