Re: [squid-users] Issue with multiple Squids / TPROXY / WCCP and DNS load balancing

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 18:15:32 +0200

On 12.08.09 18:28, Richard Wall wrote:
> I'm seeing exactly the same problem as was described in this email (in 2004):
> * http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200407/0008.html
>
> The http client does a DNS lookup, then Squid repeats the DNS lookup
> and receives a different host IP - which means that Squid makes it's
> proxy request to a different IP than the original request. Our theory
> is that the WCCP router redirects the response to the wrong Squid.

Squid ignores the original destination of connection in order to provide
correct content. Many servers provide the same (their own) content
independently on what Host: you ask for, so the cache would get filled with
incorrect content. That's one of downfalls when using inctercepting proxy.

> Anyone else seen the same problem? Anyone got a work around? In that
> mailing list thread, Henrik had suggested that someone needs to submit
> a patch to allow Squid to connect to the same IP address as the client
> connection, but I can't tell if anyone has done this yet.

avoid using the proxy or explain why do you see different host than squid
does...

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.